Monday, May 12, 2008

CG, Iron Man, and why I'm not a casting director.

I saw Iron Man this weekend and it was great. I had a few thoughts...

Director Jon Favreau has always gone on record as saying he likes to keep the use of CG to a minimum. If an effect can be done by practical means then he prefer it do be done that way. That seems reasonable. I certainly won't hold that against him. When he needed his CG effects he went to ILM. The film is entertaining, fun and engaging. That's what's really important. The transition between practical and CG effects is seamless. I have this really bad habit of watching a film for the visuals alone. Watching a film always becomes an unavoidable game of "CG or Practical: You Make The Call" or "How would I do have done that effect?". I am breaking myself of this habit and just enjoying the film as it was intended. It's hard. I'm progressing in baby steps. I am trying to save those games for the DVD release now.

If you'd like to see Iron Man with Spiderman and the Hulk check out this full CG webisode clip from the Marvel Kids ... Very nice stuff.




What made a bigger impression on me was Robert Downey Jr's performance as Tony Stark. He was really terrific. He WAS the movie. It just reminded me of my lack of vision for casting. I think I have a fertile imagination but I am not able to make the connection between actor and character. Oh sure, Pierce Brosnan as James Bond that was easy... Daniel Craig as James Bond now that was visionary. He wound up being one of the best 007's in decades even as people complained harshly. I stay neutral now. Ever since I predicited dread and doom for Die Hard because someone thought Bruce Willis would make a good action star, I recognize my deficiency. I would not have had the vision to pick Robert Downey as Tony Stark. Now I can't imagine anyone else in the role. He owns it.

That's why I'm not a casting director.

No comments: