Friday, May 25, 2012

For No Other Reason Than It's Neat #4

There is is little known subculture of computer graphics programmers out there that are affectionately known as the Demoscene. The Demoscene is a fascinating area that has been active since as far back as I can remember (and thats the Timex Sinclair !) Groups of programmers like small gangs would compete to produce "Intros" that were usually (but not always) attached to pirated software. This stuff has mesmerized me since I laid eyes on my first demo. The amazing thing about these demos is how small they are. Props were given to those groups who could produce the most awesome graphics demo in the smallest amount of code. Siggraph actually recognized the Demoscene a few years ago. When I mean the smallest amount of code... I'm not kidding. The guys that are the best at this are real geniuses as far as I'm concerned. To have such mastery of the hardware and command it with machine level code is an incredible talent. You can get more info about the Demoscene HERE. If that's a bit overwhelming then hit wiki first. One of my favorite Demoscene groups is Farbrausch. CHeck out this award winner from them, all the time keeping in mind that what you are watching is done in 177kbs of coded executable. Yeah I said it. 177KBS ! That includes the music. Props to Farbrausch



No comments: